Sunday, April 24, 2016

2016 TCM Classic Film Festival Tentative Schedule and Social Producer Assignment

Ahoy Ahoy, Classic Film fans.  I apologize for the delay in formulating this post, but school, work and traveling to NY last weekend haven't allowed for the proper amount of obsessing over the film festival schedule.  However, it did allow for a sit-down between my dad and I to attempt to make decisions about our schedule.

As always, this was a bit of a challenge, but a fun one filled with making awesome decisions.  So, without further ado here's our tentative schedule for this year's festival (subject to change for any number of reasons):


Thursday
Block 1: One Potato, Two Potato (1964) [New to us]
This was a funny one because my top 2 choices were One Potato, Two Potato and Dark Victory
and my Dad's top picks were One Potato, Two Potato and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  Once we saw that Barbara Barrie was going to be in attendance we decided to make this our selection.


Block 2: Brief Encounter (1945) [Favorite on the Big Screen and New to Dad]
I love this movie so much and am really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.  Oddly enough my dad has never seen it, so what better way to enjoy it than in a theater at the TCM Classic Film Festival.


Friday
Block 1: Either Shanghai Express (1932) or Never Fear (1949) [Favorite on the Big Screen or New to us]
I had originally seen a VHS copy of Shanghai Express a few years ago, so when I heard that a restoration of the film was going to be at the festival I immediately added it to my must see list.  And it's going to be introduced by director Josef von Sternberg's son, Nicholas von Sternberg.  My second choice this block is The More the Merrier.  Meanwhile, my dad's number one choice is the Ida Lupino movie Never Fear, which will be introduced by MoMA Film Curator, Anne Morra.  We'll see how this one shakes out.


Block 2: The Way We Were (1973) or He Ran All the Way (1951) [Favorite on the Big Screen or New to us]
The Way We Were is my top choice for this time slot, Robert Redford on the big screen...need I say more?  My dad's selection is He Ran All the Way, which sounds like a really complex movie complete with a screenplay by Dalton Trumbo.  Another interesting time slot.


Block 3: The Conversation (1974) [Favorite on the Big Screen and fun celeb]
This was a tough block for us, lots of different things to choose between, but I think I'm most drawn to The Conversation with director Francis Ford Coppola as a special guest.  The other films at this time sound extremely interesting and I think if The Conversation wasn't at the same time we could easily see any of them.


Block 4: It's a Wonderful Life (1946) and Voices of Light: The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) [Favorites on the Big Screen]
Did you notice the 'and'...that wasn't a typo, this might be our first block of movies where we dun dun dunn....split up!  I know what you're thinking, that's totally uncalled for, but it may have to be done.  I had the amazing pleasure of seeing an extremely similar performance of The Passion of Joan of Arc at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in recent years (my friend from college sang in the performance).  It was an absolutely wonderful experience and I couldn't possibly recommend it more highly and definitely think my dad should see it, but that means that I may sneak off to the screening of It's a Wonderful Life instead.


Block 5: Repeat Performance (1947) [New to us]
After reading the description for Repeat Performance, my dad and I were both intrigued.  It's hard to pass up Angela Lansbury and Alec Baldwin at the Manchurian Candidate and Bob Fosse and the rest of the cast of My Sister Eileen, but it would also be fun to see a new to both of us movie.  This is one that might change on the day of depending on the pull of Angela Lansbury or Bob Fosse.


Saturday
Block 1: 90th Anniversary of Vitaphone [New to us]
Another tough block, but I think we're going with the presentation about Vitaphone.  We really enjoyed the Technicolor presentation and the hand-cranked movies last year so we'll keep our trend of learning about different formats alive with the 90th Anniversary of Vitaphone.  Plus, it will feature great from 1928-1929 that feature Rose Marie and George Burns and Gracie Allen.


Block 2: The First Time in Hollywood @ Club TCM
This is another instance of having been to a very similar event, very recently.  Last year I went to a screening of Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid at UCLA complete with an interview with Carl Reiner, which was wonderful.  I'm tempted to see it again, especially since it's a whole afternoon with Carl Reiner and because my dad hasn't seen Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.  But I think ultimately we're going to enjoy an event at Club TCM instead.  It sounds like a great group of people at the panel and I always enjoy hearing Cari Beauchamp talk about movies and Hollywood history.


Block 3: Rita Moreno Book Signing [Fun celeb]
My entire family really likes Ms. Rita Moreno (EGOT Winner).  I enjoy her performances in musicals like West Side Story and as Detective Goren's mother on Law and Order: Criminal Intent (I'm a sucker for Vincent D'Onofrio).  While my dad and brother's respect and revere her from her performance in Oz.  I tend to go to at least one book signing per festival so I think this one would be perfect for us.  It's also wonderful that Larry Edmund's is collaborating with the festival for events like this, they're always so wonderful.


Block 4: The Long Goodbye (1973) [Favorite on the Big Screen and fun celeb]
After a day of learning about Vitaphone, attending a panel, and hopefully getting to tell Rita Moreno how much we enjoy her body of work it's only logical to go to a screening of The Long Goodbye with Elliot Gould in attendance.


Block 5: Rocky (1978) or  Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) [Favorite on the Big Screen and fun celeb or New to me]
I was sure my dad would want to see Rocky at the fest, but it turns out he saw it in the theater when it first came out, so his first choice for this time slot was Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man.  I've certainly seen Rocky before, but never in a theater, which is why it was my first choice this block.  However, while putting this post together I discovered that Talia Shire will be in attendance for this screening, which may have clinched it.  And to quote Rocky and my dad after I emailed him about it, "Adriannnnnn!"


Sunday
Block 1: All That Heaven Allows (1955) or M*A*S*H (1970) [Favorite on the Big Screen]
My dad's top 2 for this time slot are M*A*S*H and Fallen Idol and my top 2 for this slot are All That Heaven Allows and M*A*S*H.  Not sure how this is going to turn out, but it will be extremely difficult for me to pass up seeing a Douglas Sirk film on the big screen.


Block 2: The Kid (1921) followed by Horse Feathers (1932) [Favorites on the Big Screen]
Originally, we were really looking forward to seeing The Longest Ride and to see Burt Reynolds in person (I recently saw Smokey and the Bandit for the first time and my affection for Reynolds has grown exponentially), but now that he's unfortunately no longer going to be attending the festival it's back to the drawing board.  It seems that a double feature of The Kid and then Horse Feathers is a good alternative.  We haven't discussed this time block since Burt Reynolds cancelled so we'll see what happens here.


Block 3: The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming (1966) [New to me and fun celeb]
This should be a fun one and Eva Marie Saint will be in attendance.  I've never seen it before so I'm really looking forward to it.  My dad is also interested in seeing Fat City during this time slot, but I recently saw a restoration screening of this at The Reel Thing last year.


Block 4: Network (1976) [Favorite on the Big Screen and fun celeb]
We weren't sure what to go with for the final screening, but with the announcement of the wonderful Faye Dunaway we were sold on Network.  This movie is intense and emotional and hearing Faye Dunaway should be amazing.


Alright so there's our tentative schedule, lots of tough choices, but as always there are no bad choices.  Here are some other wonderful blogger's schedule posts, I like seeing other people's choices and seeing the reasoning and to see if we have any screenings in common:

Raquel's Top Picks: My Top Picks for the 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival 

A Classic Movie Blog's: The TCM Classic Film Festival 2016 Schedule

Laura's Picks: The 2016 TCM Classic Film Festival Schedule

Chris' Movie Madness: TCMFF Madness, Baby

Social Producer Assignment- #TCMFFSP


My dad and I are THRILLED to be Social Producers at the festival again.  This year we're going to incorporate the themes of the films at the festival with family and loved ones.  We're going to post (at least) daily topics for discussions.  They may include memories of seeing certain movies, be related to the themes of the movies, or just general movie experiences.  We will also most likely seek out festival goers who are attending with their family, much like we did last year, and share their stories on Twitter.  In addition to this we're also going to be on hand for some Social Media 101 support.  I'm currently creating a handout that goes through the steps of setting up a Twitter account.  We will also make ourselves available for other support as needed.  We're really looking forward to it again this year.  You can read about all of the social producer's on Classic Movie Hub and here are other posts by other Social Producers:

Kellee's Scavenger Hunt: TCMFF 2016 Announcement: Photo Scavenger Hunt!

Ariel's Film Formats and Preservation Overview: Print Resource Guide for TCMFF 2016

Aurora's Schedule and Coverage: #TCMFF 2016 - I Won't Be Passing the Time Playing Solitaire, Mrs. Iselin!

Chris' Hunt for the Falcon: Find the Falcon at TCMFF


Looking forward to seeing everyone at the fest this year.  Hope we have some screenings in common.


4 comments:

  1. Hi blog name twin! Thanks for including my list. I'm so anxiety-ridden about The Passion of Joan of Arc. I've wanted to see it since it was first announced, but I'm afraid of missing Angela Lansbury. Must see Angie! So I'm hoping it'll come to the Seattle film fest, but that's a gamble. I tell you. How nice that you can see so many of these programs where you live. It must make deciding what to see so much easier. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, hi! Of course, it was great reading about your picks for the fest. That sounds like a tough call, but I'm sure whatever you decide will be awesome. I feel extremely lucky that LA has so many repertory screenings and classic film events, but it's still not the same as going to the events at the fest. Hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  2. Loved your list, and thanks for including the link to mine!

    If you pick REPEAT PERFORMANCE I don't think you'll regret it...I'm a huge fan of that film. :)

    Will be looking for you at several of these screenings!

    Best wishes,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      Sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks for your comment and thanks for all your wonderful #TCMFF coverage. I'm glad that we got to see each other a couple of times at the fest. Hope you're doing well!
      -Diane

      Delete